Expert advice and news to keep your finances in check.

Taxpayer Guide to Identity Theft

According to the IRS, if you have a responsible assumption that your social security number has been compromised take the following steps immediately:

1) File a police report
2) File an FTC Complaint
3) Contact one of the three credit bureaus to place a fraud alert on your account: (1-800-525-6285) (1-888-397-3742) (1-800-680-7289)
4) Close any financial accounts opened without your permission
5) Respond immediately to any IRS notice, according to instructions
6) Complete IRS Form 14039-Identity Theft Affidavit
7) Continue to file your tax return, even if by paper

Click IRS below for a link to the Taxpayer Guide to Identity Theft. 


Source of Information obtained 5/21/15 from